2019 Tia M.M. Hegstad

Tia M.M. Hegstad
from Edinburgh, Scotland
living in Moss, Norway

Blooming Colourwheel

I liked this years theme because I love colour.  The first thing I did was make some lampwork buttons on a course in Edinburgh with my friend Helen Chalmers.  I still didn't know what I was going to make at that point, but felt it was a good start.  They ended up being the centres of the flowers.

It was fun going through my boxes of wool and fabric digging out colours to use.  The more the merrier, as far as I'm concerned, but I quickly decided on 6 main segments.

Two of the segments are made from paper piecing, a patchwork technique I first tried last year.  One is made from knitting, and I taught myself to do short rows for this.  The other 3 sections are freeform crochet.

I liked the wheel as it was, but felt it needed more detail, so I started freeform crocheting leaves and flowers.  These were sewn and needle felted onto the background in curved lines from the centre to the outside edge of each colour segment.  My kitten, Rufus, showed a great deal of interest when I was trying to attach all the flowers, but he sleeps quite a lot so I managed to get them all in place eventually.











                                    















No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind with your comments - We love positive feedback.
Comments containing spam, flaming, personal attacks, abuse and excessive swearing will be removed.