2011 Lou Bor

Lou Bor
Melbourne, Australia


The Journey Cape
This silk cape is not truly freeform, as it comprises joined units of white centre’s surrounded by silk bullions of Nepalese recycled silk (sari) yarn. Taking this year's challenge theme of stories, the story of this cape is memorable to me for a number of reasons. 
Firstly, the units were made whilst I was on an 8-week trip around Australia (amazing!), and in the car I would crochet, unwind and rewind the recycled silk. 
Secondly, I wanted to see how the recycled silk worked (with difficulty, and bullions are not distinct), and finally, this was the first piece of wearable art that I made. Being silk, and not tightly constructed, the garment dropped and is heavy to wear, but it is very warm. I still think it is a beautiful piece, and I love wearing it, remembering my trip, how I crocheted in the car, and how I organized the units and sewed them together upon coming home.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind with your comments - We love positive feedback.
Comments containing spam, flaming, personal attacks, abuse and excessive swearing will be removed.